Monday, March 6, 2017

Minimalism Soap Box

A lot of people assume that just because I love fashion, designer handbags and shoes and basically all things RTW, that I dream of a big closet the size of a bedroom and a big ass house. Nothing could be further from the truth. In the Asian culture, the bigger the house (and/or the more homes you owned), the richer you are (or looked). I'm not going to lie, I used to think that way and dreamt of owning a huge home, but over time have come to love and appreciate having the perfect sized space with as little clutter as possible. My husband and I live in a cozy 1 bedroom/1 bathroom 813 sq. ft. apartment and our space could not be more perfect for us. We utilize every single inch of our home, the kitchen, our living space where we catch up and watch movies, our bedroom, the bathroom and our walk-in closet. When the time comes for us to have children, we'll find a new space that will fit us perfectly... 

SO, as some of you may know, my husband and I are obsessed with living minimally, having a space that fits us and owning and keeping things that we continuously use/wear or bring us joy. Last year, we moved to a brand new city and this gave us a chance to declutter the items that were of no use to us anymore. You'd be surprised once you go through your things, how much you don't actually need. We donated so much of our own crap and have never regretted giving away anything. My point is, you'll never miss these items. Kitchen items, unused decor, random gifts from family and friends we felt guilty throwing out, stuff we've both accumulated from college and beyond... We vowed to never be suffocated by stuff ever again. If you haven't read this book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, read it! It's one of our all time favorites.

Alright, back to the closet. My husband and I share a closet and love to edit. We make it a point to buy things made of natural materials (100% Cotton/Linen/Wool etc.) and avoid fast fashion. With clothing growing up, my parents taught me to always buy on sale and quantity > quality. Now, we buy less and believe in enjoying and taking care of what you already own, things like getting shoes we love resoled. That sort of stuff. Ex: If there's a shirt we want to buy and the lime green one is on sale, but the black one is the one we want, but it is full price - We won't think twice and we'll buy the black one. We recently saw The True Cost (If you haven't seen, I highly recommend it!) and we were appalled at the fast fashion industry and the poor working conditions for these employees. I do my best to not buy items from places like H&M and Zara. I'll be honest, it's hard sometimes when they make really good, trendy pieces that's easy on the wallet, but I've been really good about it. I haven't bought a thing from them since watching the documentary.

When my husband and I are about to make a purchase, we ask ourselves, "How many times are we going to wear this item?" "What is the cost per wear?" We're really careful. It goes hand in hand with buying timeless pieces we aren't going to throw away in a year or two, saving money and not consuming much. We don't want to fill our land[fills] or create/promote unsafe working conditions and destroy our planet. Now, my husband and I spend more on experiences (Things like travel and food!), and less on material items. We could not be more happier!

Yes, I love designer items. I love a good Chanel handbag, but I only have a handful of designer handbags and shoes that I love and continuously use. I don't plan on collecting handbags or shoes to the point where I could fill up a wall with them. There's no way I could wear these items enough to appreciate them. Things I don't wear anymore end up on my eBay account, which I hope will find a new and loving home. So no, I don't want a huge closet filled with everything designer. I don't want to be bogged down by these items and spend an exorbitant amount on material goods. I love the size of my closet right now and everything in it and intend to keep it that way for a long, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment